Direct Admin Technical Thread

Comments

• SmallWeb said: Did you restart php72?

Sorry, should have mentioned that. Yes.

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• Amitz said: Still the changes are not applied. What does Directadmin expect me to do? Their documentation is a mess when searching via Google.You never know whether it is outdated information, or nor. That sucks a bit...

What is it you are trying to change? I mean, 7.2 may be the DA loaded config file but if the change is expected at user level, has the user account go 7.2 selected?

Thanked by (1)Amitz
  • MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

@Lee said:

Amitz said: Still the changes are not applied. What does Directadmin expect me to do? Their documentation is a mess when searching via Google.You never know whether it is outdated information, or nor. That sucks a bit...

What is it you are trying to change? I mean, 7.2 may be the DA loaded config file but if the change is expected at user level, has the user account go 7.2 selected?

Kinda assuming it's all regarding native PHP, but if it is per-domain then https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=622 might be of some help.

Thanked by (1)Amitz
  • SmallWeb said: Kinda assuming

Never assume, ass U me and all that :)

Thanked by (1)MichaelCee
  • AmitzAmitz OG
    edited December 2019

Thank you guys, but something seems utterly f*cked up with my install... Will re-install and see!

Thanked by (1)Lee

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• Amitz said: something seems utterly f*cked up with my install...

Yup, that sounds like DirectAdmin :). It can be very temperamental.

Thanked by (3)vpsgeek Amitz AlwaysSkint
  • vpsgeekvpsgeek OG
    edited December 2019

@SmallWeb @Francisco

Is it possible with DirectAdmin to throttle outgoing email for example allowing a 100 emails per hour on per user or per domain basis?

Recommend: SmallWeb|BuyVM|Linode|RamNode

• @vpsgeek said:
    @SmallWeb @Francisco

Is it possible with DirectAdmin to throttle outgoing email for example allowing a 100 emails per hour on per user or per domain basis?

No, but yes.

Can you do this via the panel? No.
    Can you modify it manually? Yes.

Another one of those must-haves that is in a Queue to be added to the panel, no ETA.

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek
  • MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

@Lee said:

@vpsgeek said:
    @SmallWeb @Francisco

No, but yes.

Can you do this via the panel? No.
    Can you modify it manually? Yes.

Another one of those must-haves that is in a Queue to be added to the panel, no ETA.

There's this in the admin UI but for daily

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek
  • SmallWeb said: There's this in the admin UI but for daily

Yup, daily has always been there, hourly is to be added just no ETA.

Thanked by (2)MichaelCee vpsgeek
  • @Lee said:

SmallWeb said: There's this in the admin UI but for daily

Yup, daily has always been there, hourly is to be added just no ETA.

I thought I saw that hourly email limits had been added or was being added for the next release of DA.

• Honestly,
    As I am reevaluating my shared hosting plans, I am super inclined to offer whm/CPanel, simply because DA doesn’t have a single point of add/remove feature options (even if it is via editing config files) and gets super frustrating when I am deploying new boxes. Too many check lists.

I love DA, been a DA host before DA became cool. But from an admin perspective, DA feels like a budget hosting panel and not premium enough. Yes it’s cheap. But it lacks simple config options for quick and easy deployment.

Thanked by (3)AlwaysSkint Lee vpsgeek
  • LeeLee OG
    edited December 2019

seriesn said: DA feels like a budget hosting panel and not premium enough. Yes it’s cheap. But it lacks simple config options for quick and easy deployment.

Indeed, this is where my opinion on cPanel seems to grate with many others in that $45 each month for 100 users and $0.20 per additional user each month is really not that bad when you compare it side by side with DA. It is perceived as bad by those trying to offer unlimited services for $2 per month.

All I have been thinking in the last couple of days is just stop with DA, you know you want cPanel :)

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek
  • @Lee said:

seriesn said: DA feels like a budget hosting panel and not premium enough. Yes it’s cheap. But it lacks simple config options for quick and easy deployment.

Indeed, this is where my opinion on cPanel seems to grate with many others in that $45 each month for 100 users and $0.20 per additional user each month is really not that bad when you compare it side by side with DA. It is perceived as bad by those trying to offer unlimited services for $2 per month.

All I have been thinking in the last couple of days is just stop with DA, you know you want cPanel :)

Ditto and I might run with that for my upcoming premium offering. I will still be a DA host and happy DA guy with budget DA offering, but Cpanel continues to be more "shared hosting" business-friendly. It is expensive and a recurring expense. But if I am charing top $$, I should offer top value.

Thanked by (2)vpsgeek Lee
  • They should definitely do a DA DNS only also just like cPanel

https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=138

Whenever I search for features similar to cPanel in DA I find you either need extra $$ or more admin hours.

Recommend: SmallWeb|BuyVM|Linode|RamNode

• vpsgeek said: They should definitely do a DA DNS only also just like cPanel

They do have this, it is just another DA install in a different location. There is an option in the panel to two installs to speak with each other. Just not free like cPanel although DNS Only for Cpanel is unlikely to be free long given they are licencing each install of that as well now.

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek
  • mikhomikho AdministratorOG

Lee said: although DNS Only for Cpanel is unlikely to be free long given they are licencing each install of that as well now.

Why not license it per domain served ??

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• mikho said: Why not license it per domain served ??

That may be the plan, I guess we will find out in time.

Right now cPanel continues to offer a free DNS Only and you would need to pay for a DA licence to set up clustering. Not sure whether a $2 personal licence would do or you need a licence equivalent to the number of users. But in any case, a small VPS from a provider that bundles licences free will cover it.

This seems to suggest they are gathering data to establish whether charging would be viable, .i.e. enough are using it to make it more hassle to do anything but pay.

https://blog.cpanel.com/coming-very-soon-dnsonly-server-licenses/

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek
  • FranciscoFrancisco Hosting ProviderOG

@Lee said:

mikho said: Why not license it per domain served ??

That may be the plan, I guess we will find out in time.

Right now cPanel continues to offer a free DNS Only and you would need to pay for a DA licence to set up clustering. Not sure whether a $2 personal licence would do or you need a licence equivalent to the number of users. But in any case, a small VPS from a provider that bundles licences free will cover it.

This seems to suggest they are gathering data to establish whether charging would be viable, .i.e. enough are using it to make it more hassle to do anything but pay.

https://blog.cpanel.com/coming-very-soon-dnsonly-server-licenses/

There's paid licenses for it, I just can't find a copy of it.

From what I remember the paid addon was like $15 and it was if you wanted to offer a managed DNS offering without shared hosting.

Francisco

Thanked by (2)Lee vpsgeek
  • MikePTMikePT Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

@AnthonySmith said:
    Paging @SmallWeb @MikePT as the most active DA users I am aware of.

@Rahul said:

Lee said: does the new Linux Jetbackup service work with DirectAdmin?

According to @MikePT

JetBackup isn’t compatible with DirectAdmin yet

@Rahul said:

Lee said: does the new Linux Jetbackup service work with DirectAdmin?

According to @MikePT

Rahul said: According to @MikePT

That's correct, they're still working on it, shall be in beta in two months IIRC - I need to poke them again.

JetBackups for Linux does the job, although there's no panel for the end-user and it won't really integrate. It's still a solution for now as you can restore the account as an Admin. I'll rather wait for the DA version to allow our clients to perform self-restores.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • MikePT said: JetBackups for Linux does the job

Not recommended to use with DA / "a panel" IIRC from JetBackups blog/forum/something ... Waiting for the DA version of JetBackup =)

Thanked by (1)MikePT
  • MikePTMikePT Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

@flips said:

MikePT said: JetBackups for Linux does the job

Not recommended to use with DA / "a panel" IIRC from JetBackups blog/forum/something ... Waiting for the DA version of JetBackup =)

Indeed...? ?

• ukhanukhan OG
    edited December 2019

Never see DA has some less features as compare with cPanel for End user perspective, Only thing at the moment DA is need some solid backup system

• Hey everyone hehe. I just restored a DA backup on @MikePT shared plan but Im getting DB errors for WP and an app installed by Softaculous. Do I have to edit something? The account username from the previous host is different from the current one now. Thanks!

• WSSWSS OGRetired

Pretty sure you've just answered your question. If you don't create the same username/passwords it is unlikely you have import permission to do so since you could easily nuke other users who use default settings.

Make sure your DB was created and edit your WP config to match. At the very least, unless your db host is 'localhost', it's probably not gonna work.

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• @WSS said:
    Pretty sure you've just answered your question. If you don't create the same username/passwords it is unlikely you have import permission to do so since you could easily nuke other users who use default settings.

Make sure your DB was created and edit your WP config to match. At the very least, unless your db host is 'localhost', it's probably not gonna work.

Thanks @wss ! I meant I originally had a cpanel account and along the way, i had the primary domain changed for example from domain1.com to domain2.com. So the login username to cpanel is different than what my current primary domain is now for example the username is still domain1. Then my former host switched to DA. But my sites were migrated without issue with db or whatever.

Now I bought a shared plan from @MikePT and used my "new' primary during signup so its domain2.com. So when my account was generated my username is domain2.

I then created a DA backup from my previous host and restored it to @MikePT myw

Afaik the only difference is my account username - domain1 vs domain2 . Let me compare the db name and db usernames. I dont think this affects my WP login username and pass?

• WSSWSS OGRetired

If it's a subdomain/alias, there will likely be more things to rectify- I can't say I have tried to do a cpanel subdomain to directadmin primary at any time without doing so manually.

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• expexp OG
    edited December 2019

The primary is not a subdomain. It was a domain like domain.com and was changed to domain.net. I dont know how my previous host migrated from cpanel to DA but there was no db issue after. I only encountered this db issue after restoring a DA backup from another DA host to my new DA host.

If my db name and db username were indeed based off from my original username then that might be issue i guess? But how would that be an issue? If import was success, shouldnt what the db names and usernames on my previous host will also be recreated in the new one as is? And when the WP connects to the db, that db with exact name should exist and they should connect using the credentials as is. Since this is just a DA to DA import.

• expexp OG
    edited December 2019

@WSS said:
    If it's a subdomain/alias, there will likely be more things to rectify- I can't say I have tried to do a cpanel subdomain to directadmin primary at any time without doing so manually.

You are correct :/ DA restored the DB with prefix of current account name! Like domain2_wp123 since my login name in myw is domain2

In my previous host, login name was domain1 which was my original domain before it was changed to domain2. So correct db name is domain1_wp123

But since this is a restore, shouldnt DA just restore with the original names? Or is this because theyre relative names?

How do I change the db names? Should I just wait for @MikePT to reply to my ticket?

• @Francisco would it be possible to suggest to @DA_Mark to preserve and restore DB names during backup and restore? Since currently DB names are treated as relative names and uses account name as its prefix. Is there a way to rename DB names in DA?

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint