Run an OpenVPN Server on an 128MB RAM Server?

Hello, I Know that the OpenVPN-AS Server not run under 128MB RAM Server. I want to install the VPN Server over an Script. And my Question is would it run and work without problems under 128MB?
I want to use this script https://github.com/Nyr/openvpn-install
Thanks for Help Xenic.

Thanked by jureve

Comments

  • Assuming a bare minimum installation, it will run provided you don't run other stuff on it.

    Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Follow latest deals on Twitter or Telegram

  • It will run fine on any debian /Ubuntu minimal template with nyr's script.

  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith AdministratorHosting Provider
    edited November 2019

    mininode1vz7 ~]# top -b -n1 | grep openvpn | wc -l
    75

    Should be fine :)

    Thanked by dahartigan

    Inception Hosting - we surveyed 100 people and asked them what a fat husband may hide from his wife in his belly button, the 3rd most popular answer was: "Jewelry"

  • @Xenic said:
    Hello, I Know that the OpenVPN-AS Server not run under 128MB RAM Server. I want to install the VPN Server over an Script. And my Question is would it run and work without problems under 128MB?
    I want to use this script https://github.com/Nyr/openvpn-install
    Thanks for Help Xenic.

    It can, also it can run on NAT VPSes.. go with LES 128 MB package.. fcking cheapp..

  • mikhomikho Hosting ProviderOG

    @Xenic said:
    Hello, I Know that the OpenVPN-AS Server not run under 128MB RAM Server. I want to install the VPN Server over an Script. And my Question is would it run and work without problems under 128MB?
    I want to use this script https://github.com/Nyr/openvpn-install
    Thanks for Help Xenic.

    There has been reports that the NYR OpenVPN script is not always installing everything OK on a NAT VPS at the first try.
    I have no experience with it at all, only forwarding what I've read at the old forum.lowendspirit.com

    Get 4 or more NAT servers (mix/match between packages) and get 45% recurring discount. https://clients.mrvm.net

  • I'll shall test this out and report back with any notes.

  • Was using Nyr's script and now the one from Angristan (https://github.com/angristan/openvpn-install) for quite some time on various 128MB VPS and it works very well. So go ahead and get you an LES! ;)

  • Thanks Dudes :)
    I will buy me Server from mrVM!
    Greetings from Germany.

  • @Xenic said:
    Thanks Dudes :)
    I will buy me Server from mrVM!
    Greetings from Germany.

    Can't go wrong with @mikho

    Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Follow latest deals on Twitter or Telegram

  • I would prefer nyr's version. It's developed much more thoughtfully.
    I had hopped on the angristan bandwagon a while back, but now nyr's script has quite nice defaults.

    If you like you may include the official openvpn repos in your sources.list to get the latest stable binaries for openvpn on both ends of the connection.

    Example :
    deb http://build.openvpn.net/debian/openvpn/stable xenial main

    https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/OpenvpnSoftwareRepos#DebianUbuntu:UsingOpenVPNaptrepositories

  • SolaireSolaire Design TeamOG

    @mikho said:

    @Xenic said:
    Hello, I Know that the OpenVPN-AS Server not run under 128MB RAM Server. I want to install the VPN Server over an Script. And my Question is would it run and work without problems under 128MB?
    I want to use this script https://github.com/Nyr/openvpn-install
    Thanks for Help Xenic.

    There has been reports that the NYR OpenVPN script is not always installing everything OK on a NAT VPS at the first try.
    I have no experience with it at all, only forwarding what I've read at the old forum.lowendspirit.com

    I don't know the specific issue that was addressed on the old LES forum, but what I do know is that the OpenVPN installation script doesn't play well with OpenVZ 6 and Debian 9. The fork that was created by angristan includes a fix for that which merely consists of removing "LimitNPROC" from the OpenVPN systemd file.

    Reference: https://github.com/angristan/openvpn-install/blob/caa571f7688eb1ffd2df8c9d908ee787a4503b51/openvpn-install.sh#L854

    Thanked by vimalware
  • @mikho said:
    There has been reports that the NYR OpenVPN script is not always installing everything OK on a NAT VPS at the first try.

    Probably from someone unable to understand basic networking because my script fully supports NAT servers and that has always been the case. The user can just press enter all the time and use the defaults, no need to even input anything. If someone encounters a real problem, I would be very happy to fix it, but the NAT configuration implemented by the script is no rocket science and doesn't leave much room for error.

    @Solaire said:
    I don't know the specific issue that was addressed on the old LES forum, but what I do know is that the OpenVPN installation script doesn't play well with OpenVZ 6 and Debian 9. The fork that was created by angristan includes a fix for that which merely consists of removing "LimitNPROC" from the OpenVPN systemd file.

    The LimitNPROC issue is not with the script, is general to the current OpenVPN service in containers.

    The fork implements a worse solution than my original work. My implementation is cleaner and the service file is only patched if it's really needed, because otherwise it is a security issue. Previously, they were even overwriting the original service file to patch this and looking at his code is very clear that the author still doesn't understand how systemd services should be edited.

    But this is only a small example. In general code quality of the fork leaves a lot to be desired, but what can I say.

  • @Nyr Since you're here, I would like to just thank you for the script :)

  • mikhomikho Hosting ProviderOG

    @Nyr as I’m not a user of your script, can’t say what problem users have had. Only that there have been a couple of topics on the old LES forum on not getting it working properly.

    I’m sure you made it as easy as possible to use.

    Get 4 or more NAT servers (mix/match between packages) and get 45% recurring discount. https://clients.mrvm.net

  • @thedp said:
    @Nyr Since you're here, I would like to just thank you for the script :)

    Thank you :)

    @mikho said:
    @Nyr as I’m not a user of your script, can’t say what problem users have had. Only that there have been a couple of topics on the old LES forum on not getting it working properly.

    I’m sure you made it as easy as possible to use.

    I understand. My issue tracker has also hundreds of such reports and I try to provide guidance when possible, but the most common cause of this issue is the script being "too smart" and (correctly) detecting a internal IP address which the user doesn't recognize and (wrongly) overwrites with the public one. I've recently changed the UX to address this and I think it has improved.

    Other common cause for this are user-configured firewalls. The script usually deals with them, but can't reach everywhere without being too intrusive, only iptables and firewalld are officially supported as they are the defaults for the supported distributions.

    Still, if there is an issue which can potentially be with the script, please direct the user to the issue tracker and it will be investigated and promptly fixed if needed.

    Nice to see that you are still around!

    Thanked by mikho vimalware
  • SolaireSolaire Design TeamOG

    @Nyr said:
    The LimitNPROC issue is not with the script, is general to the current OpenVPN service in containers.

    The fork implements a worse solution than my original work. My implementation is cleaner and the service file is only patched if it's really needed, because otherwise it is a security issue. Previously, they were even overwriting the original service file to patch this and looking at his code is very clear that the author still doesn't understand how systemd services should be edited.

    But this is only a small example. In general code quality of the fork leaves a lot to be desired, but what can I say.

    Appreciate your reply a lot! I think it was about a year ago your script didn't work properly on Debian 9 / OVZ6 and since I was in a hurry I looked into the fork because there was an issue on their Github project that included a pull request with the aforementioned patch. Happy to see it's sorted now in a much better way. I'll be setting up 11 NAT boxes with OpenVPN soon, so your script is definitely very welcome :)

    Thanked by poisson Nyr
  • @Nyr said:

    @Solaire said:
    I don't know the specific issue that was addressed on the old LES forum, but what I do know is that the OpenVPN installation script doesn't play well with OpenVZ 6 and Debian 9. The fork that was created by angristan includes a fix for that which merely consists of removing "LimitNPROC" from the OpenVPN systemd file.

    The LimitNPROC issue is not with the script, is general to the current OpenVPN service in containers.

    The fork implements a worse solution than my original work. My implementation is cleaner and the service file is only patched if it's really needed, because otherwise it is a security issue. Previously, they were even overwriting the original service file to patch this and looking at his code is very clear that the author still doesn't understand how systemd services should be edited.

    But this is only a small example. In general code quality of the fork leaves a lot to be desired, but what can I say.

    I have to admit I never had a deeper dive into either of the variants, only the usual "check if something smells".
    Given your statement, I may have to revisit my choice and compare them again. :)

    Thanked by Solaire mikho Nyr
  • I'm running wireguard + pihole on my 128MB box w/o problem.

    Thanked by skorous

    Shared: Smallweb| VPS: Wishosting, NexusBytes, FlowVPS, VirMach, InceptionHosting, Linode
    Gapps legacy 100/200 users cheap 4 sale. PM

  • Hi @sonic that sounds good. Interested to share how you do that under a Raspberry Pi?

  • @alexxgg said:
    Hi @sonic that sounds good. Interested to share how you do that under a Raspberry Pi?

    Here is tutorial, it's easy to follow https://medium.com/@aveek/setting-up-pihole-wireguard-vpn-server-and-client-ubuntu-server-fc88f3f38a0a

    Thanked by Solaire

    Shared: Smallweb| VPS: Wishosting, NexusBytes, FlowVPS, VirMach, InceptionHosting, Linode
    Gapps legacy 100/200 users cheap 4 sale. PM

  • alexxggalexxgg OG
    edited November 2019

    Thank you so much for the info.

  • So i bough an small 128MB VPS :)
    I fixed some errors but i came at this point not fouther.

    TCP/UDP: Socket bind failed on local address [AF_INET]172.16.70.146:14605: Cannot assign requested address

    I Think i chose my forwarded port. (I Tryed some forwarded ports) But i got the same error.

    Greetings from Germany youre, Xenic.

    Thanked by Ympker
  • Hey @Xenic, do you use a OpenVPN script installer? I've been using this one on a lot of VPS instances, so far so good.

  • If that 128MB is a kvm, maybe.
    If it is openvz, it works fine.

    Time is running out; Death under torture.

  • I managed to get openvpn working on 64mb with centos. But i wouldn't recommend it at all. It was an awful experience 😅

  • RAM shouldn't be a problem at least with OpenVPN, I have a mini VPS (daily use as VPN) from @AnthonySmith, an OVZ7 instance with 256 MB RAM. As you can see, around 17 MB RAM is in use.

Sign In or Register to comment.