Run an OpenVPN Server on an 128MB RAM Server?

Hello, I Know that the OpenVPN-AS Server not run under 128MB RAM Server. I want to install the VPN Server over an Script. And my Question is would it run and work without problems under 128MB?
I want to use this script https://github.com/Nyr/openvpn-install
Thanks for Help Xenic.

Thanked by (1)jureve

Comments

• Of course it’ll run ?

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• Assuming a bare minimum installation, it will run provided you don't run other stuff on it.

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• It will run fine on any debian /Ubuntu minimal template with nyr's script.

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG
    edited November 2019

mininode1vz7 ~]# top -b -n1 | grep openvpn | wc -l

Should be fine :)

Thanked by (1)dahartigan

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• @Xenic said:
    Hello, I Know that the OpenVPN-AS Server not run under 128MB RAM Server. I want to install the VPN Server over an Script. And my Question is would it run and work without problems under 128MB?
    Thanks for Help Xenic.

It can, also it can run on NAT VPSes.. go with LES 128 MB package.. fcking cheapp..

A simple uptime dashboard using UptimeRobot API https://upy.duo.ovh
    Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@Xenic said:
    Thanks for Help Xenic.

There has been reports that the NYR OpenVPN script is not always installing everything OK on a NAT VPS at the first try.
    I have no experience with it at all, only forwarding what I've read at the old forum.lowendspirit.com

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• I'll shall test this out and report back with any notes.

• Was using Nyr's script and now the one from Angristan (https://github.com/angristan/openvpn-install) for quite some time on various 128MB VPS and it works very well. So go ahead and get you an LES! ;)

• Thanks Dudes :)
    I will buy me Server from mrVM!
    Greetings from Germany.

• @Xenic said:
    Thanks Dudes :)
    I will buy me Server from mrVM!
    Greetings from Germany.

Can't go wrong with @mikho

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• I would prefer nyr's version. It's developed much more thoughtfully.
    I had hopped on the angristan bandwagon a while back, but now nyr's script has quite nice defaults.

If you like you may include the official openvpn repos in your sources.list to get the latest stable binaries for openvpn on both ends of the connection.

Example :
    deb http://build.openvpn.net/debian/openvpn/stable xenial main

https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/OpenvpnSoftwareRepos#DebianUbuntu:UsingOpenVPNaptrepositories

• @mikho said:

@Xenic said:
    Thanks for Help Xenic.

There has been reports that the NYR OpenVPN script is not always installing everything OK on a NAT VPS at the first try.
    I have no experience with it at all, only forwarding what I've read at the old forum.lowendspirit.com

I don't know the specific issue that was addressed on the old LES forum, but what I do know is that the OpenVPN installation script doesn't play well with OpenVZ 6 and Debian 9. The fork that was created by angristan includes a fix for that which merely consists of removing "LimitNPROC" from the OpenVPN systemd file.

Reference: https://github.com/angristan/openvpn-install/blob/caa571f7688eb1ffd2df8c9d908ee787a4503b51/openvpn-install.sh#L854

Thanked by (1)vimalware
  • @mikho said:

Probably from someone unable to understand basic networking because my script fully supports NAT servers and that has always been the case. The user can just press enter all the time and use the defaults, no need to even input anything. If someone encounters a real problem, I would be very happy to fix it, but the NAT configuration implemented by the script is no rocket science and doesn't leave much room for error.

@Solaire said:
    I don't know the specific issue that was addressed on the old LES forum, but what I do know is that the OpenVPN installation script doesn't play well with OpenVZ 6 and Debian 9. The fork that was created by angristan includes a fix for that which merely consists of removing "LimitNPROC" from the OpenVPN systemd file.

The LimitNPROC issue is not with the script, is general to the current OpenVPN service in containers.

The fork implements a worse solution than my original work. My implementation is cleaner and the service file is only patched if it's really needed, because otherwise it is a security issue. Previously, they were even overwriting the original service file to patch this and looking at his code is very clear that the author still doesn't understand how systemd services should be edited.

But this is only a small example. In general code quality of the fork leaves a lot to be desired, but what can I say.

Thanked by (3)mikho TigersWay Solaire
  • @Nyr Since you're here, I would like to just thank you for the script :)

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@Nyr as I’m not a user of your script, can’t say what problem users have had. Only that there have been a couple of topics on the old LES forum on not getting it working properly.

I’m sure you made it as easy as possible to use.

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• @thedp said:
    @Nyr Since you're here, I would like to just thank you for the script :)

Thank you :)

@mikho said:
    @Nyr as I’m not a user of your script, can’t say what problem users have had. Only that there have been a couple of topics on the old LES forum on not getting it working properly.

I’m sure you made it as easy as possible to use.

I understand. My issue tracker has also hundreds of such reports and I try to provide guidance when possible, but the most common cause of this issue is the script being "too smart" and (correctly) detecting a internal IP address which the user doesn't recognize and (wrongly) overwrites with the public one. I've recently changed the UX to address this and I think it has improved.

Other common cause for this are user-configured firewalls. The script usually deals with them, but can't reach everywhere without being too intrusive, only iptables and firewalld are officially supported as they are the defaults for the supported distributions.

Still, if there is an issue which can potentially be with the script, please direct the user to the issue tracker and it will be investigated and promptly fixed if needed.

Nice to see that you are still around!

Thanked by (2)mikho vimalware
  • @Nyr said:
    The LimitNPROC issue is not with the script, is general to the current OpenVPN service in containers.

The fork implements a worse solution than my original work. My implementation is cleaner and the service file is only patched if it's really needed, because otherwise it is a security issue. Previously, they were even overwriting the original service file to patch this and looking at his code is very clear that the author still doesn't understand how systemd services should be edited.

But this is only a small example. In general code quality of the fork leaves a lot to be desired, but what can I say.

Appreciate your reply a lot! I think it was about a year ago your script didn't work properly on Debian 9 / OVZ6 and since I was in a hurry I looked into the fork because there was an issue on their Github project that included a pull request with the aforementioned patch. Happy to see it's sorted now in a much better way. I'll be setting up 11 NAT boxes with OpenVPN soon, so your script is definitely very welcome :)

Thanked by (2)poisson Nyr
  • @Nyr said:

@Solaire said:

I have to admit I never had a deeper dive into either of the variants, only the usual "check if something smells".
    Given your statement, I may have to revisit my choice and compare them again. :)

Thanked by (3)Solaire mikho Nyr
  • I'm running wireguard + pihole on my 128MB box w/o problem.

Thanked by (1)skorous
  • Hi @sonic that sounds good. Interested to share how you do that under a Raspberry Pi?

• @alexxgg said:
    Hi @sonic that sounds good. Interested to share how you do that under a Raspberry Pi?

Here is tutorial, it's easy to follow https://medium.com/@aveek/setting-up-pihole-wireguard-vpn-server-and-client-ubuntu-server-fc88f3f38a0a

Thanked by (1)Solaire
  • alexxggalexxgg OG
    edited November 2019

Thank you so much for the info.

• So i bough an small 128MB VPS :)
    I fixed some errors but i came at this point not fouther.

TCP/UDP: Socket bind failed on local address [AF_INET]172.16.70.146:14605: Cannot assign requested address

I Think i chose my forwarded port. (I Tryed some forwarded ports) But i got the same error.

Greetings from Germany youre, Xenic.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • Hey @Xenic, do you use a OpenVPN script installer? I've been using this one on a lot of VPS instances, so far so good.

• If that 128MB is a kvm, maybe.
    If it is openvz, it works fine.

Action and Reaction in history

• I managed to get openvpn working on 64mb with centos. But i wouldn't recommend it at all. It was an awful experience ?

• RAM shouldn't be a problem at least with OpenVPN, I have a mini VPS (daily use as VPN) from @AnthonySmith, an OVZ7 instance with 256 MB RAM. As you can see, around 17 MB RAM is in use.