Need Debian Installed

I rented a server from Nocix to install Proxmox on. For some reason they do not include Debian in their auto-installer list and when I contacted support, they told me I have to use what's in the list. Centos, Ubuntu, Sysrcd, and Grml. I read it may be possible with Grml. I'll pay if someone can get it installed.

Comments

• WSSWSS OGRetired

Running Proxmox on a C2D/C2Q isn't going to do a lot for you. I'd personally install the latest Ubuntu and just use KVM. I don't remember if they do MAC address filtering, but I seem to recall needing to forward all packets through the bridge's actual NIC for it to work.

You can easily install QEMU, set drive to /dev/sda, load netboot, install, and configure network, then pray for it to work. I wrote a mini-howto to do this with OpenBSD back in 2016 on the other forum; it can be easily adapted at will. I don't suggest moving forward with your current plan, because those machines are very weaksauce.

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• @WSS said:
    Running Proxmox on a C2D/C2Q isn't going to do a lot for you. I'd personally install the latest Ubuntu and just use KVM. I don't remember if they do MAC address filtering, but I seem to recall needing to forward all packets through the bridge's actual NIC for it to work.

You can easily install QEMU, set drive to /dev/sda, load netboot, install, and configure network, then pray for it to work. I wrote a mini-howto to do this with OpenBSD back in 2016 on the other forum; it can be easily adapted at will. I don't suggest moving forward with your current plan, because those machines are very weaksauce.

I got the I3-3220 rather than those old AMD's. That's better than the Kimsufi line I have ran Proxmox on.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@Xenos said:
    I got the I3-3220 rather than those old AMD's. That's better than the Kimsufi line I have ran Proxmox on.

Not all that bad. Still, WSI ~= NOCIX. You're not going to have fun if this doesn't work because you can only netboot crappy old GRML/sysrcd. I did that a few times, but I wouldn't waste the few bucks saved to ever do that with anything remotely considered production. Good luck with your task!

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• @WSS said:

@Xenos said:

Not all that bad. Still, WSI ~= NOCIX. You're not going to have fun if this doesn't work because you can only netboot crappy old GRML/sysrcd. I did that a few times, but I wouldn't waste the few bucks saved to ever do that with anything remotely considered production. Good luck with your task!

It’s for personal use. I wouldn’t attempt it on anything production. Thanks for suggesting QEMU, I’m going to give it a try.

• Hi, Xenos,

Have you install Debian success?

Maybe you can remote install debian as this: https://github.com/fincham/kexec-remote-debian-install

If you have no time to tring, I would like to have a try.

Thank you.