Charge on VPS backup restoration

Okay I found at least 2 provider; time4vps and wedos, offering backup as an VPS addon with additional fee. But when we need to restore, there is another fee for restoration.

Are they doing the restoration manually? What holds them not to automate this ?

UpCloud free $25 through this aff link - Akamai, DigitalOcean and Vultr alternative, multiple location, IPv6.

Comments

• @Dazzle said:
    Okay I found at least 2 provider; time4vps and wedos, offering backup as an VPS addon with additional fee. But when we need to restore, there is another fee for restoration.

Are they doing the restoration manually? What holds them not to automate this ?

Why not make more money if you can?

• Well, if using SolusVM at least, there's only a manual method to restore a backup. It's actually a bit of a pain in the ass. It takes time, and manual intervention, so I imagine that's why they are charging.

Thanked by (2)vimalware Dazzle

Tab Fitts | Founder/CEO - Spry Servers
    SSD Shared Hosting || VPS || Dedicated Servers || Network Status || PHX1 LG || DAL1 LG || || AS398646 || 1-844-799-HOST (4678)

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

Depends, what sort of backup are they offering?

A managed individual VPS backup solution or is it just that you are paying them to include your VPS in their DR backup (as I do for SSD based customers as standard) but I wont restore on demand because I have not included backup and restore management in the price, just that if something goes wrong my side, I will restore your VPS for you.

So the answer is, maybe, it depends on a number of things.

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• vpsgeekvpsgeek OG
    edited November 2019

Around 8-9 years ago, when the rumors of SolusVM 2.0 started coming out, some reputable hosts claimed having told by Phill that they are working on incremental backups with useful features for end users as well but so far neither SolusVM nor their competitors like Virtualizor & VMmanager have implemented a decent backup system.

Recommend: SmallWeb|BuyVM|Linode|RamNode

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Depends, what sort of backup are they offering?

A managed individual VPS backup solution or is it just that you are paying them to include your VPS in their DR backup (as I do for SSD based customers as standard) but I wont restore on demand because I have not included backup and restore management in the price, just that if something goes wrong my side, I will restore your VPS for you.

So the answer is, maybe, it depends on a number of things.

Yep. This exactly ^^

Tab Fitts | Founder/CEO - Spry Servers
    SSD Shared Hosting || VPS || Dedicated Servers || Network Status || PHX1 LG || DAL1 LG || || AS398646 || 1-844-799-HOST (4678)

• FranciscoFrancisco Hosting ProviderOG

@vpsgeek said:
    Around 8-9 years ago, when the rumors of SolusVM 2.0 started coming out, some reputable hosts claimed having told by Phill that they are working on incremental backups with useful features for end users as well but so far neither SolusVM not their competitors like Virtualizor & VMmanager have implemented a decent backup system.

One of the big root exploits in SolusVM was done via the "Central Backups" system.

For the longest time (maybe even now) their "fix" was just throwing an exit(); at the top of the file and counting the feature as unreliable/dead.

Backups are hard, especially if you're involving block devices (KVM/XEN stuff). I spent like a year of time trying to make our OpenVZ backups work without taking a year to complete or blowing out CPU to process. I never tried with ploop, maybe that'd be a bit better, but it overall sucks.

Francisco

Thanked by (3)vpsgeek Dazzle Asim