Open source linux backup solution with bare metal restore

I was reading about free version of Veeam that it claims to offer bare metal restore function which I have seen only with R1soft. Which open source or free softwares other than Veeam have that functionality?

Recommend: SmallWeb|BuyVM|Linode|RamNode

Comments

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited December 2019
  • 5.0 Free Licenses and Community Licenses. Free and Community License products can be used in your own production environment in accordance with the terms and conditions of this Agreement. You may not use the Free and Community Licenses to provide services to third parties or to process third party data. These versions can be used without additional purchase and can be upgraded to paying versions of the products to unlock additional functionality and features. There is no obligation to support, maintain or provide any assistance regarding any of these licenses. In no event will Veeam be liable for any damages for any claim or cause for any direct, actual, indirect damages, loss of data, consequential, incidental or special indirect damages, even if Veeam has been advised of the possibility of such damages.

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek
  • I have plans to check out Urbackup, which is supposed to have something like that.

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek
  • I enforce that all server and app config is managed and tracked in git, and all data is in storage buckets that can easily be backed up with common tools like borg. If a server dies, reinstall the OS, hit it with ansible, and restore data from backups.

Next step is resilient distributed storage, I'm thinking Ceph or Longhorn, but maybe minio or Moose would work better over WAN.

Thanked by (2)mfs vpsgeek
  • edited December 2019

KISS.

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• seanho said: If a server dies, reinstall the OS, hit it with ansible, and restore data from backup with common tools like borg

A replicable, automated rebuild from scratch is my first approach too. Also, borg

seanho said: Next step is resilient distributed storage, I'm thinking Ceph or Longhorn, but maybe minio or Moose would work better over WAN.

GlusterFS borg. GlusterFS is nice but it depends on latency and pipes of your WAN, unless you go for master-slave Geo-replication then maybe you can bwlimit more

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek
  • Yep, that was my conclusion regarding gluster, as well. I have my doubts ceph would tolerate long latency, either. Maybe it could work if I segment VPSes into geo-regions of latency less than 40ms.

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek
  • WSSWSS OGRetired

NFS soft mounts aren't anything new, folks. Just sayin'..

Thanked by (2)vpsgeek mmuyskens

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• HA Floppy Cluster

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek
  • SagnikSSagnikS Hosting ProviderOG

seanho said: I enforce that all server and app config is managed and tracked in git,

NixOS does the work of ansible there, you can deploy everything from just a singl;e config file.

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek
  • ulayerulayer Hosting ProviderOG

Never seen anything that's free and opensource that is comparable to R1Soft before. Even R1Soft has some serious setbacks with support for their hotcopy (hcp) kernel module supporting newer kernels. Had a ticket open with them for over a year waiting for the kernel version Ubuntu 18.04 uses to be supported. I think the better method would just be to run everything on a hypervisor, so you can cleanly take snapshots of the VMs and send them off to a remote borg server (currently what we do).

Has anyone ever tried UrBackup?

Universal Layer LLC, a privacy conscious hosting provider
    Check us out @ ulayer.net / twitter.com/ulayer_net