DirectAdmin OS

Those who use DA, what's your OS of choice to install it on, and why?

I like the fact it supports multiple OS, and have an instance working with Debian, but was curious to other peoples thoughts.

If you use a perticular OS, is it out of habit or that it's the best choice for DA? I know they recommend Cloudlinux, but on something which is going to be mainly managed by IT staff rather than end users, is Cloudlinux required? Or do the cloudlinux limits help with things such as WP security, or do you just add them manually afterwards.

Cheers!

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Hosting ProviderOG

CentOS 7.

I'll be very surprised if DA supports much more than CentOS and probably FreeBSD by this time next year.

Francisco

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek
  • I'm currently running it on Debian 9 and that works like a charm. Tried installing it on Debian 10 but ran in on too much compatibility issues.

CentOS might be better, but it has been since '06 that I managed an RH-based Linux. Not really familiar with that.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider
    edited December 2019

@debaser said:
    I'm currently running it on Debian 9 and that works like a charm. Tried installing it on Debian 10 but ran in on too much compatibility issues.

CentOS might be better, but it has been since '06 that I managed an RH-based Linux. Not really familiar with that.

I found the CentOS 7>8 Jump was an easier transition/faster working/more compatible than the Debian 9 > 10 one.

I am using both though, just CentOS for CloudLinux and compatibility.

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek
  • Isn't CentOS that horrible distro that you have to install from scratch each time when there is a new major version?

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• Thanks for the replies guys!

Francisco said: CentOS 7.

Is that what Buyshared is using?

Francisco said: I'll be very surprised if DA supports much more than CentOS and probably FreeBSD by this time next year.

So anyone using other OSes may need to migrate? I presume this would be to make it easier to concentrate on fixes rather than compatibility.

debaser said: Debian 10

My Debian install is running on 10, works fine. I actually got a bit excited and installed it on 10 before 10 was officially supported (by DA). It works fine. Occasionally will log me out straight away but I just log back in.

I'm more familiar with Debian, or a BSD variant, but I can use CentOS.

I was considering CentOS for longer term support. I figured if they recommended Cloudlinux they probably developed it on CentOS at least.

• Amitz said: Isn't CentOS that horrible distro that you have to install from scratch each time when there is a new major version?

I'm sure I've had issues trying to upgrade in the past actually.

• I use CentOS for my DA servers due to its compatibility with other software such as CloudLinux/Imunify.

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek
  • SagnikSSagnikS Hosting ProviderOG

I've completely moved over to Debian 9 for DA, and pretty much everything else. CentOS was really too much of a security risk to deal with in a lot of cases (extreeemely slow security updates). I would love to see this change in CentOS 8, but until then I don't really see much point of using it unless there's some software that is CentOS only.

• @Amitz said:
    Isn't CentOS that horrible distro that you have to install from scratch each time when there is a new major version?

Maybe that's the official policy. I did upgrade a OpenVZ 7 VM from CentOS 7 to 8 without issues.

Thanked by (2)Amitz vpsgeek
  • AK_KWHAK_KWH Hosting ProviderOG

Centos 7 works perfectly for me as compared to 6

KhanWebHost Cheap Shared Hosting | Cheap KVM VPS (DE,UK,US,FR) | KVM Sale - LES Offers

• FranciscoFrancisco Hosting ProviderOG

@Mr_Tom said: So anyone using other OSes may need to migrate? I presume this would be to make it easier to concentrate on fixes rather than compatibility.

I guess? I dunno.

I bring it up because cPanel did the same thing years ago where they cut out Fedora, FreeBSD, and a few others they supported.

It was just a real drag on their staff to both develop and support it.

Mark seems determined to leave no one behind and I have a lot of respect for that. Its just makes it so they can't have super simple package based installing.

Francisco

• I use Centos 7, because its matter of javit for me

• ukhanukhan OG
    edited December 2019

Centos 7 but in next 2,3 month once the directadmin mature for Centos 8 it will be best to upgrade