Do you use linux as your daily driver on laptop/pc?

Which distro and desktop env. ?

Comments

• debian + xfce

Thanked by (2)carlin0 vyas
  • Ubuntu, fvwm3 and bits of xfce

• Debian + Xfce

Thanked by (2)itsdeadjim vyas

"He sounds like hearing him say to the liquor merchant: you who sell it what buys you better ?"
    F. De André --- Free NAT KVM

• Cinnamon Mint

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• IMG_20240201_182230_716

My keyboard is my computer.
    It's a Raspberry Pi 400 running Ubuntu Server 20.04 with MATE desktop, although the mouse pad disagrees.
    The display is connected via microHDMI-to-HDMI adapter + HDMI-to-VGA converter + VGA cable.

I do almost all VPS installation from this computer.
    For coding tasks, VSCode runs on this computer, but compilation is delegated to a DELL 7040 running Debian 12.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• MX Linux with Xfxe to press an old Baytrail laptop into service, MX seems flavour of the moment.

I'm still mainly a Windows desktop user but very impressed with how well MX runs on a low spec laptop. Much of what I use on Windows is cross platform, have little difficulty switching between the two desktop environments.

• @yoursunny said: For coding tasks, VSCode runs on this computer, but compilation is delegated to a DELL 7040 running Debian 12.

Do you use Remote - SSH plugin? Works very well in such cases.

Thanked by (1)yoursunny
  • Debian 11 + GNOME

• edited February 2

My home machine, no, because of gaming essentially. My work laptop dual boots with Mint, though, currently trying Cinnamon (+ Windows).

• On my HP-15s. Has Ryzen 3 5300U, 8GB of RAM (I might upgrade the RAM or the laptop, dunno what comes first), 512GB SSD. It is currently running Debian sid with KDE. Bluetooth works surprisingly well, so does the WiFi.

youtube.com/watch?v=k1BneeJTDcU
    All of my VMs: https://nodecheck.net/s/otusibrc/

• NixOS + herbstluftwm

I know, I'm the weird guy in town.

Thanked by (1)benz

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• bdlbdl OG
    edited February 2

Fedora on laptops and opensuse tumbleweed (since nvidia GPU) and endeavour on desktop. KDE on all

• debian is by far the best Linux distro, it's on my server, computer, laptop, tab

Thanked by (1)Otus9051
  • @bdl said:
    Fedora on laptops and opensuse tumbleweed (since nvidia GPU) and endeavour on desktop. KDE on all

Why OpenSUSE for novideo?

youtube.com/watch?v=k1BneeJTDcU
    All of my VMs: https://nodecheck.net/s/otusibrc/

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

Mint (Ubuntu version) & Cinnamon - 'cause ladies love it!

Thanked by (3)AlwaysSkint Amadex Ympker

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @Otus9051 said:

@bdl said:

Why OpenSUSE for novideo?

I've had less issues with opensuse and nvidia (I'm guessing they do some testing against nvidia) and also snapshots out of the box makes rollback super easy should something go wrong

• havochavoc OGContent Writer
    edited February 2

Not yet, but would be an arch deriv. (Or if insanity strikes on install day nix)

Been contemplating it for a while but netflix kept me on Windows. (yes it works on nix but even at 1080p the bitrate ends up much lower).

But the N is irritating me rn so...

Also find myself coding in a nix environment 100% of the time so may as well dump the WSL bullshit

• Ubuntu and ... not a clue. Whatever it came with by default, I guess?

• Fedora + KDE on laptops and desktops (and Fedora on servers as well).

Thanked by (1)mfs
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited February 2

Windows 10 on Desktop, with some Linux Virtualbox Containers (ZorinOS).
    Windows 11 on my Surface.

• somiksomik OG
    edited February 2

@yoursunny said:

My keyboard is my computer.
    It's a Raspberry Pi 400 running Ubuntu Server 20.04 with MATE desktop, although the mouse pad disagrees.
    The display is connected via microHDMI-to-HDMI adapter + HDMI-to-VGA converter + VGA cable.

I do almost all VPS installation from this computer.
    For coding tasks, VSCode runs on this computer, but compilation is delegated to a DELL 7040 running Debian 12.

Planning to upgrade to Pi 500 when it's out?

Artificial intelligence is no match for our natural stupidity.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

• I'm a Linux admin by trade, but no, I can't stand Linux as a desktop OS.

Most of my work is completed on a Mac, and have a Windows PC for gaming etc.

Thanked by (3)Amadex Erisa ElonBezos
  • 25y linux user, almost always working with it in that lifespan. Used a dozen of distros including slackware and voidlinux. Now it's almost 10 years with kubuntu only, for the simplicity. Server OSes are chosen based on intended usage: oracle, rhel, ubuntu, debian, all have its advantages.

• host_chost_c Hosting Provider

Well,

for work - Windows 7/10/11 depending on what laptop I get may hand on for the field ( Panasonic CF54, FZ55 or Acer Urban N3 ), sry folks, i just work faster on MSFT for recovery/flash tools for devices, appliances and so on.

home - uh boy, does mac os count as Linux? :)

We deploy Linux only setups for customers that mainly use Files and the web for work, personal preference for Linux Desktop use - Ubuntu, Fedora .

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

Host-C - VPS Services Provider - AS211462

"If there is no struggle there is no progress"

• freerangecloudfreerangecloud Hosting ProviderOG

Yes, completed the conversion to Linux as my daily driver about 2 years ago. Happily running Linux Mint with either the MATE or Cinnamon desktop environments, depending on the specific machine I am using.

https://freerangecloud.com - VPS, shared hosting, LIR services & more!

• Cinnamon Mint

Thanked by (2)AlwaysSkint bikegremlin
  • ^ Enlightenment :+1:

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• BTW I use Arch + KDE :)

Linux on all my desktops, laptop and servers.

• Linux Mint MATE

Thanked by (2)AlwaysSkint bikegremlin

How are you... online?