Craving some AMD goodies? 3950X's inside :) PLUS Holiday Giveaway!

DelongDelong OG
edited December 2019 in Offers

What's this?
We got something for you all!
Someone, somewhere, some how acquired some AMD Ryzen 3950X's.
So if you're looking for AMD goodness, with fast ECC RAM and solid NVMe disks you're at the right spot!

Giveaway!
If you purchase a Ryzen-M plan and post your order number, a benchmark result of your choice and what you're looking forward to for the holiday's or even the upcoming year, you'll be entered into a drawing to have an additional core, additional GB ram and double bandwidth!

We'll do two drawings, one Christmas eve at 11PM EST and New Years Day at 11PM EST.
One entry per VPS, one prize per VPS!

What's the catch?
I don't want the alphabet soup busting down my door on Christmas or New Years, so nothing illegal and don't be a jerk.

Here's the deal!

INTRO-Ryzen-S-VPS
1 CPU Core
1 GB Ram
10 GB NVMe Disk
1 TB Bandwidth
1 IPv4
Starting at $4.99/m

INTRO-Ryzen-M-VPS
2 CPU Core
2 GB Ram
25 GB NVMe Disk
2 TB Bandwidth
1 IPv4
Starting at $7.00/m

See the full line up here!

Looking Glass: http://ut.test.bandithost.com
Test files: 100M 1G

Feel free to PM with any questions or a ticket here

Comments

• ... That moment when BanditHost tells us to do "nothing illegal" ... ;)

Thanked by (1)seriesn
  • @flips said:
    ... That moment when BanditHost tells us to do "nothing illegal" ... ;)

;) Just don't let the alphabet bois bust through my house like the kool-aid man and we're all good ha

Thanked by (4)flips dahartigan poisson bdl
  • Sounds nice! How does the CPU load look so far, and what is the HW configuration? Assuming 128GB with VM's getting reserved memory, that's 8GB per core.

It occurs to me that for this kind of product, I don't expect (or want to pay for) dedicated cores (cores I can hammer 750 hours a month), but I also don't want to get throttled after a few minutes or few hours, and I don't really want "fair share" (where I expect a fractional core because of contention against other users). I'd hope for something like "10% core", which means that for 75 hours a month I can hammer the core and expect to get >90% of it, >90% of the time. That lets me do a significant sized data cookdown or transcode a few times a month, while idling the rest of the time, which is about what I do with dedicated servers now.

I remember with @MikeA's 3900X product there was plenty of cpu all the time, but I don't know what people are doing with these VM's in general so who knows if that experience generalizes.

• @willie said:
    Sounds nice! How does the CPU load look so far, and what is the HW configuration? Assuming 128GB with VM's getting reserved memory, that's 8GB per core.

It occurs to me that for this kind of product, I don't expect (or want to pay for) dedicated cores (cores I can hammer 750 hours a month), but I also don't want to get throttled after a few minutes or few hours, and I don't really want "fair share" (where I expect a fractional core because of contention against other users). I'd hope for something like "10% core", which means that for 75 hours a month I can hammer the core and expect to get >90% of it, >90% of the time. That lets me do a significant sized data cookdown or transcode a few times a month, while idling the rest of the time, which is about what I do with dedicated servers now.

I remember with @MikeA's 3900X product there was plenty of cpu all the time, but I don't know what people are doing with these VM's in general so who knows if that experience generalizes.

I would assume (without fully knowing @Delong style)

4GB/1 Core/thread sounds about right?

• @seriesn said: 4GB/1 Core/thread sounds about right?

There are 2 threads per core, so 4gb per thread = 8gb per core. This is a $750 cpu ($47 per core) so it would seem a bit underconfigured with just 64gb of ram. I don't know what 32gb ecc ram modules cost these days though.

• @willie said:

@seriesn said: 4GB/1 Core/thread sounds about right?

There are 2 threads per core, so 4gb per thread = 8gb per core. This is a $750 cpu ($47 per core) so it would seem a bit underconfigured with just 64gb of ram. I don't know what 32gb ecc ram modules cost these days though.

Aha! We going physical. Yes sir that would be the right math if that’s the case. I will let sir Long answer you’re questions.

• The other thing I'd want with an offer like this is the availability of a lot of HDD storage. Something like BuyVM slices (mountable block storage) would be great, but a separate storage VPS in the same data center with fast local network and preferably free intra-DC bandwidth would suffice.

Thanked by (1)Delong
  • WSSWSS OGRetired

@willie said:
    The other thing I'd want with an offer like this is the availability of a lot of HDD storage. Something like BuyVM slices (mountable block storage) would be great, but a separate storage VPS in the same data center with fast local network and preferably free intra-DC bandwidth would suffice.

What color should this uncorns' bridle be?

Thanked by (3)dahartigan Delong poisson

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• @willie said:

@seriesn said: 4GB/1 Core/thread sounds about right?

Yep, we’re rolling 4x 32gb ecc udimms! We currently follow a fair use model and if we see certain individuals hammering away continuously we work with them directly to figure something out.

@willie said:
    The other thing I'd want with an offer like this is the availability of a lot of HDD storage. Something like BuyVM slices (mountable block storage) would be great, but a separate storage VPS in the same data center with fast local network and preferably free intra-DC bandwidth would suffice.

Currently, out EPYC based vpses offer NVMe base storage with the ability to order additional HDD based storage. We are looking into setting up a local network for VPSes but currently don’t have a date set in stone for that.

Hopefully that answered some of your questions and statements! Feel free to ping me if you’ve got any other questions or are looking for a specific configuration at a certain price point!

Thanked by (1)willie
  • @Delong said:

@willie said:

Currently, out EPYC based vpses offer NVMe base storage with the ability to order additional HDD based storage. We are looking into setting up a local network for VPSes but currently don’t have a date set in stone for that.

I have one of these, it's a beast. The HDD storage is $1 per 100GB and performance is excellent.

I use my HDD storage for nextCloud and as it grows I can live with a buck a month for the extra space.

FWIW I vouch for the provider. Excellent support, excellent network, excellent performance and totally worth the price tag. I am excited to see what 2020 holds for the Bandit :-)

I'm just sad that I ran out of server monies for the month or I'd be playing with a new Ryzen right about now lol

Get the best deal on your next VPS or Shared/Reseller hosting from RacknerdTracker.com - The original aff garden.

• @flips said:
    ... That moment when BanditHost tells us to do "nothing illegal" ... ;)

Well, you are looking at Robin Hood and his gang there. I support such illegal activity. Heck, why didn't he choose his nick as Robin Hood, Little John or Friar Tuck baffles me.

Thanked by (1)flips

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• @willie said:
    Sounds nice! How does the CPU load look so far, and what is the HW configuration? Assuming 128GB with VM's getting reserved memory, that's 8GB per core.

The thing about Ryzens in my view is that there are enough powerful cores to go around such that a couple of transcoding hours a day probably won't kill the node for others. I don't have services with @MikeA but for @Delong and @seriesn I think if you drop a ticket explaining your situation and if the request is not unreasonable, you probably can get the CPU time you need because of they have solid hardware and heartware (you just can't buy this off the shelf).

Thanked by (1)dahartigan

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• @dahartigan said:

@Delong said:

@willie said:

I have one of these, it's a beast. The HDD storage is $1 per 100GB and performance is excellent.

I use my HDD storage for nextCloud and as it grows I can live with a buck a month for the extra space.

FWIW I vouch for the provider. Excellent support, excellent network, excellent performance and totally worth the price tag. I am excited to see what 2020 holds for the Bandit :-)

I'm just sad that I ran out of server monies for the month or I'd be playing with a new Ryzen right about now lol

I can vouch for @Delong's EPYC servers too. Its stability is between a rock and a hard place.

This year, I got an EPYC with @Delong, a Ryzen 7 3700X with @seriesn and a Ryzen 5 2600X desktop for my research work. I think I have enough AMD in my life and if I need a benchmarking fix, I will just bench any one of them instead of buying moar AMD VPS (although there's a little voice in my head telling me to do it all the time).

Thanked by (1)dahartigan

• @poisson said: The thing about Ryzens in my view is that there are enough powerful cores to go around such that a couple of transcoding hours a day probably won't kill the node for others.

Well, 16 cores with 128gb ram is 8gb per core as mentioned, similar to the E3-12xx servers with 32gb and 4 cores that I'm used to. Those sometimes do run out of cpu, though with 16 cores it's less likely to happen by unlucky concidence of a few people hammering simultaneously. Anyway seems like a nice offer but I think I'm going to hold out for a suitably located dedi. Do you have anything like that? It's more of a long term thing for me, to migrate my stuff from EU closer to home.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

the speed at which the latest ryzens run should free up cpu pretty quickly sans abuse, so the host node should be lower loads given the same contention ratio. still it is managed by provider so it makes sense to go with a reputable one.

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• @cybertech said:
    the speed at which the latest ryzens run should free up cpu pretty quickly sans abuse, so the host node should be lower loads given the same contention ratio. still it is managed by provider so it makes sense to go with a reputable one.

Exactly. The Ryzens perform the calculations a whole lot more quickly so operations generally complete way faster than Xeon-12XX series. Honestly, the demand on CPU for most web hosting applications haven't increased all that much since 10 years ago, so Ryzens in a VPS environment mostly give performance that feels like a dedicated for most people because the CPU processes things so much more quickly.

That said, if you want to do transcoding, then you are better off with a dedicated, but that will cost you.

@poisson said:

@cybertech said:

Exactly. The Ryzens perform the calculations a whole lot more quickly so operations generally complete way faster than Xeon-12XX series. Honestly, the demand on CPU for most web hosting applications haven't increased all that much since 10 years ago, so Ryzens in a VPS environment mostly give performance that feels like a dedicated for most people because the CPU processes things so much more quickly.

That said, if you want to do transcoding, then you are better off with a dedicated, but that will cost you.

did you manage to get a feel of how new ryzens perform in terms of transcoding (e.g. H265)? i intend to test it on a 3core i9 VPS to see how the load's like.

• williewillie OG
    edited December 2019

I did some tests on one of MikeA's 3900X VMs a couple of months ago, and commented on the LET thread at the time. It was great, beating my i7-3770 on per-core basis by a substantial margin, maybe 1.5x, I don't remember the numbers. The 4-core dedi was still beating the 2-core(!) vps(!) in total throughput, but not by all that much.

Thanked by (1)poisson

nench.sh v2019.07.20 -- https://git.io/nench.sh
     benchmark timestamp:    2019-12-23 09:12:30 UTC
    -------------------------------------------------

Processor:    AMD EPYC Processor (with IBPB)
    CPU cores:    5
    Frequency:    3493.434 MHz
    RAM:          3.9G
    Swap:         -
    Kernel:       Linux 4.15.0-22-generic x86_64

Disks:
    vda     25G  HDD

CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
        1.761 seconds
    CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
        3.797 seconds
    CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
        0.691 seconds

ioping: seek rate
        min/avg/max/mdev = 44.2 us / 113.5 us / 2.33 ms / 20.5 us
    ioping: sequential read speed
        generated 18.9 k requests in 5.00 s, 4.61 GiB, 3.78 k iops, 944.9 MiB/s

dd: sequential write speed
        1st run:    1049.04 MiB/s
        2nd run:    1049.04 MiB/s
        3rd run:    1049.04 MiB/s
        average:    1049.04 MiB/s

IPv4 speedtests
        your IPv4:    173.231.xx.xxxx

Cachefly CDN:         70.97 MiB/s
        Leaseweb (NL):        15.70 MiB/s
        Softlayer DAL (US):   27.71 MiB/s
        Online.net (FR):      16.34 MiB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         25.57 MiB/s

No IPv6 connectivity detected

Always looking forward to more deals

• @corbpie that's noooooice! Any chance you could run a geekbench so we can drool over the multithread result?

Get the best deal on your next VPS or Shared/Reseller hosting from RacknerdTracker.com - The original aff garden.

• @dahartigan said:
    @corbpie that's noooooice! Any chance you could run a geekbench so we can drool over the multithread result?

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/863784

Thanked by (1)dahartigan
  • @corbpie is the winner by default it seems! Congrats!

Thanked by (2)corbpie dahartigan
  • @Delong said:
    @corbpie is the winner by default it seems! Congrats!

Cheers, easy done :3

Thanked by (2)dahartigan poisson
  • congrats @corbpie.. you need to post updated bench to show how moar awesome your box is

• @corbpie updated your VPS, you should be all set!

I also rolled out fresh promo code for everyone.

20% off EVERYTHING
    (Except promo deals)

Use promo code XMAS-NYE2020

• corbpiecorbpie OG
    edited December 2019

@poisson said:
    congrats @corbpie.. you need to post updated bench to show how moar awesome your box is

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/compare/863784?baseline=884762

this is madness

Thanked by (1)Delong

• @corbpie said:

@poisson said:
    congrats @corbpie.. you need to post updated bench to show how moar awesome your box is

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/compare/863784?baseline=884762

Well, I see that your VPS doesn't have brakes...

Thanked by (1)Delong

• Is there EPYC 2 vps?

LEMPer is yet another LEMP stack installer (plus cli-based LEMP stack management tool).
    Start your LEMP stack on the reliable cloud VPS instance starting only from around $5/mo.

• ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Region: Global  https://bench.monster v.1.4.9 2019-12-24
     Usage : curl -LsO bench.monster/speedtest.sh; bash speedtest.sh -Global
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
     OS           : Debian GNU/Linux 9 (64 Bit)
     Virt/Kernel  : KVM / 4.9.0-4-amd64
     CPU Model    : AMD EPYC Processor (with IBPB)
     CPU Cores    : 4 @ 3493.434 MHz x86_64 512 KB Cache
     CPU Flags    : AES-NI Enabled & VM-x/AMD-V Disabled
     Load Average : 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
     Total Space  : 50G (869M ~2% used)
     Total RAM    : 3955 MB (52 MB + 297 MB Buff in use)
     Total SWAP   : 0 MB (0 MB in use)
     Uptime       : 0 days 17:7
     ASN & ISP    : AS18450, WebNX, Inc.
     Organization : WebNX, Inc.
     Location     : Los Angeles, United States / US
     Region       : California

## Geekbench v4 CPU Benchmark:

Single Core : 5972  (EXCELLENT)
       Multi Core : 18463

## IO Test

CPU Speed:
        bzip2     : 143 MB/s
       sha256     : 289 MB/s
       md5sum     : 683 MB/s

RAM Speed:
       Avg. write : 4130.1 MB/s
       Avg. read  : 11639.5 MB/s

Disk Speed:
       1st run    : 1.0 GB/s
       2nd run    : 1.0 GB/s
       3rd run    : 1.0 GB/s
       -----------------------
       Average    : 1024.0 MB/s

## Global Speedtest

Location                       Upload           Download         Ping
     Speedtest.net                  902.02 Mbit/s    930.85 Mbit/s    10.075 ms
     USA, New York (AT&T)           181.07 Mbit/s    246.09 Mbit/s    76.909 ms
     USA, Chicago (Windstream)      207.36 Mbit/s    398.30 Mbit/s    39.474 ms
     USA, Dallas (Frontier)         156.89 Mbit/s    348.12 Mbit/s    42.913 ms
     USA, Miami (Frontier)          232.81 Mbit/s    379.89 Mbit/s    71.908 ms
     USA, Los Angeles (Spectrum)    392.93 Mbit/s    366.78 Mbit/s    23.106 ms
     UK, London (Community Fibre)   167.55 Mbit/s    217.03 Mbit/s   118.568 ms
     France, Lyon (SFR)             106.60 Mbit/s    215.24 Mbit/s   137.778 ms
     Germany, Berlin (DNS:NET)      112.54 Mbit/s    216.25 Mbit/s   159.355 ms
     Spain, Madrid (MasMovil)       109.86 Mbit/s    4.86 Mbit/s     140.343 ms
     Italy, Rome (Unidata)          111.99 Mbit/s    194.10 Mbit/s   159.885 ms
     Russia, Moscow (MTS)           84.27 Mbit/s     149.16 Mbit/s   195.402 ms
     Israel, Haifa (013Netvision)   77.15 Mbit/s     183.15 Mbit/s   185.542 ms
     India, New Delhi (GIGATEL)     21.44 Mbit/s     82.19 Mbit/s    275.457 ms
     Singapore (FirstMedia)         43.08 Mbit/s     24.50 Mbit/s    193.774 ms
     Japan, Tsukuba (SoftEther)     158.28 Mbit/s    252.93 Mbit/s   104.469 ms
     Australia, Sydney (Yes Optus)  100.50 Mbit/s    67.87 Mbit/s    170.489 ms
     RSA, Randburg (Cool Ideas)     12.22 Mbit/s     27.62 Mbit/s    284.697 ms
     Brazil, Sao Paulo (Criare)     80.00 Mbit/s     173.68 Mbit/s   161.191 ms

Finished in : 9 min 31 sec
     Timestamp   : 2019-12-27 10:37:05 GMT
     Saved in    : /root/speedtest.log

Share results:
     - http://www.speedtest.net/result/8891543856.png
     - https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/15077758
     - https://clbin.com/RXocz

Nice! =D

I just unwrapped this beauty and ran a bench because I've been dying to see how high of a geekbench score I could get on a server. The things we do to amuse ourselves, eh? ;)

This is the L version of this Ryzen 3950X VPS package from Bandit Host.

The first thing that strikes me, I have no idea why the CPU shows up as "AMD EPYC" when it's a Ryzen. This could be some hypervisor thing, and it really makes no difference because the clock speed matches what the Ryzen is, and the results speak for themselves.

Check out that freaking score. 5972 single core performance and with 4 threads you get 18462 which checks out. Holy shit that's fast. Kind of blowing my mind fast.

This is definitely a premium VPS. Excellent CPU performance, excellent network (I've had no glitches since being a customer) and the support is fantastic.

I'm still trying to get my head around how freaking fast this thing is. I think my next experiment will be to temporarily shift my Plex server there, which is currently on a 12 vCPU EPYC VPS, and see how it performs. My average utilization on the EPYC is around 15-20% so this would definitely put it through its paces (and probably push the boundary of fair use, so I'll really need to consider how long the test should run)

If there was anything to complain about it would be the confusion with the CPU showing as EPYC, but that's too trivial to even bother me, just that it's literally the only negative I could think of lol :)

In closing, I think this is an extremely awesome product and I'm really excited to see how the product lineup evolves during 2020 given the 2 offers so far have been amazing AMD gear with a really decent network and great interactions with support. I've kicked myself in the past for not getting in early with new providers after the prices go up, so my advice is get these while they're hot.

Thanked by (1)Delong